Beyond Censorship.

Breaking News

What Happened at Hawal, Srinagar on 21 May, 1990.

Hawal , May 21, 1990:

On May 21, 1990, twenty eight years ago one of most deadly massacre in Hawal, Srinagar city of Kashmir, clearly remembered what happened on that fateful day.Massacre

For those who survived thousands of bullets by paramilitary CRPF on the funeral of Mirwaiz Maulana Muhammad Farooq, the memories of the massacre will never be faded. The surviving people also remember the name of CRPF Commandant posted in Hawal, who ordered his soldiers to open fire.

A resident of Hawal, said that the paramilitary CRPF men had blocked all the roads and even lanes and bi-lanes. The only option with us was to ferry the dead and injured on the handcarts. Some were taken to SMHS and seriously injured were taken to SKIMS Soura, he recalled.

It was a catastrophe, "Lawyer Nazir Ahmed Baba recalls one of the survivors of the Hawal massacre." I remember what happened on that day. Perhaps, the decision to allow Mirwaiz's funeral was not sent to the CRPF camp in Hawal. Bullets rained in all directions and dead fell like the apples fall from the trees when they are ripe.

Mirwaiz Farooq's body was being taken from the SKIMS Soura with a massive procession toto t Mirwaiz Manzil, Rajouri Kadal. To see the last glimpse of Mirwaiz, thousands of people gathered in SKIMS. When the procession reached the hawal area of ​​old Srinagar with Mirwaiz's body, paramilitary personnel deployed at a camp of Islamia College trained their machine gun on a peaceful funeral procession.

There were multiple bullets hitting people in their head, stomach, arms and they were falling flat on the ground. Even those shouldering the coffin of the Mirwaiz also sustained bullet injuries. As one was hit by bullets another shouldered the coffin.

More than 60 civilians were killed and more than 200 were injured in that day. Jammu and Kashmir was under the unpopular regime of Jagmohan, then governor.

Another survivor of the massacre, Farooq Ahmed, said there was no provocation from the procession carrying Mirwaiz's body.

Witnesses assert that later the body of Mirwaiz was taken through lanes and bylanes to Mirwaiz Manzil Rajouri Kadal. A memorial has also been established at Hawal in old Srinagar outside Islamia College, in memory of martyrs of Hawal with the names of victims carved on it.

The then Governor had announced a ‘time-bound’ inquiry into the massacre within a period of two months. However, in reply to an RTI application in 2013, the then divisional commissioner Kashmir had stated that a criminal case vide FIR 35/1990 was registered into the incident at Nowhatta police station.

On a petition by a human rights activist, the State Human Rights Commission (SHRC) in 2014 ordered time bound inquiry into the massacre and sought a report from the government within two months.